Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Looking forward

Lizette's grandfather was in town this weekend. I hadn't seen him since he last came up for Jimmy and Carly's wedding and despite his quirks I was looking forward to his visit. Maybe it would have been a different story if he were staying at our house rather than just spending a few hours hanging out. Regardless, I always enjoy the company of family and close friends, and we had a bbq planned at our place.

Last time he and his girlfriend(?) Dee were in town, Julian was only a year younger but he's so much more advanced this time around. He can conversate better and he enjoyed talking with his great grandpa. In fact, he spent a lot of time hanging out with him. It was cool watching Julian spark the youth in Harold. I don't know his exact age off the top of my head, but Harold is definitely no longer a spring chicken. I found out that this most recent trip to visit is also going to be his last. He's moving back east to be with one of his sons and that's going to be his final destination until he passes away. We didn't tell Julian this, of course, because he wouldn't understand it beyond feeling the loss of a friend.

Another perspective came in the form of an ex-wife (Lizette's grandmother and Sandi's mom), who recently had some medical complications. I don't want to get into details but she has been moved from a typical adult family home to more of hospice care environment. She too, is getting up there in age. Unlike Harold, however, it's very difficult for her to enjoy the company of her great grandchildren - or anyone, for that matter - because she suffers from alzheimer's. I haven't taken an opportunity to meet her, but from what Lizette says she's really having a hard time identifying anyone these days.

These things got me thinking about the finality of life. Lizette was talking about how it feels odd to rekindle these connections with her grandparents only to find out those connections are fleeting ones at best. I've begun to think about that as well, and it really makes me feel the distance between my family (mom, dad, grandma) being down in California. And while my brother lives 5 minutes away from me, we don't get to spend nearly enough time together because of time constraints with both of our daily schedules.

It's probably a little odd and/or unnecessary for a 30 year old to worry about not having enough time left, but I really ought to make more time for my family. Beyond the phone calls, emails, and text messages. Maybe not so much because I don't have enough time left, but I know that my parents and grandma won't be around forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment