Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Today was pretty solid, IMO

I woke up this morning a little after 6:40 am to help Lizette go through the emotional event of dropping off AJ for his first day of daycare. I played it off like I wasn't overly bothered by it, but it saddened me a lot more than I led on. I'd like to think that the bond that I have with the boys are pretty strong but they will never be as strong as the bond they share with their Mom. And rightfully so, may I add. Our moms do one of the most selfless things on the face of this earth - give birth to all of us.

Lizette hurried off to work and I headed back home so I could get ready for work myself. I was feeling under the weather but it wasn't anything a little ibuprofen wouldn't cure. I took a pair of advil along with the rest of my morning meds, finished my morning routine, and headed to work hoping the meds would kick in sooner than later.

I walked into the office still feel crappy but with the usual game face on. I may be having a shitty morning but hey, I'm walking into a job that I love to make a decent wage to help support a family that loves me. Around 8:45 or so it felt like the heater was turned on and I knew that salvation was soon at hand - my feverish symptoms would soon give way.

Fast forward through the day. I took a late lunch because I was swamped at work and it was 4 pm before I knew it. I started to feel a little icky again and I should have heeded the warning signs. I didn't take my second dose of ibuprofen for some stupid reason and soon it was too late. I felt chills coming on and my hands felt like freaking ice cubes. I took some more ibuprofen and kept plugging away.

I may clock out around ~5 pm during the work week but my day doesn't stop there. I like to spend time with the family when I get home, especially now that I have a day job after working graveyard shift for 5 years. I headed home to pick up Julian because he wanted to come with me to pick up his little brother. Poor Julez is as emotional as anyone through this transition. In fact, when we picked up AJ, Julian bolted over to him, picked him up, and gave him a huge hug. I couldn't help but smile.

When we got home and settled, I made an executive decision. I bought this sweet book for Jim knowing that it'd be right up his alley. It was on how to survive out in the wilderness. The original plan was to keep it under wraps until Christmas. We're going camping in two weeks, though, and what better time to give him the present? I hope it made his day as much as it made mine.

So here I am at 6:30 waiting for my fever to break. I still feel crummy but it's going to be time to get dinner ready soon. My beef stew is being requested by both Lizette and Julez so I can't let them down! Maybe I'll take a quick power nap until 7:30 so I have ample time to do the prep work. I want to have dinner ready by the time Lizette gets off her 12 hour hospital shift.

tl;dr version - see the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment